Old 06-21-09, 12:25 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pulawman
To start off, I know this is by no means a spectacular achievement for most, but to me it is my new record for riding. I rode 21.03 miles at around 13-15 mph avg this morning on my 09 DB Kalamar. This is the longest I've ever ridden. That puts me up to 60.5 miles for the week. I usually average 10 miles at around 10-12 mph.

I just started riding seriously approx three weeks ago when I picked up my Kalamar. I actually intended to only ride 10 miles today, but before I knew it I was at 15.6 miles and figured that I might as well see if I could go ahead to finish 20 miles without wearing myself out. By the end, prob the last 2 miles, my legs tiring out on me and I was dropping to around 11 mph.

All in all, it felt great to come home to the wife and say that I rode 21 miles. Considering two weeks ago riding 5 miles was taxing on the both of us.

My main goal atm to be able to put in 100 miles per week and drop down from my current 275-280 lb avg to 200 - 205 lbs. I never knew riding was so fun and addictive. I find myself browsing left and right at bike forums and manufacture websites. If I can get to the point where I can easily put down 100 miles a week on my DB hybrid then I plan on saving and buying myself a nice road bike.

Here's a recent pic of the wife and I on June 7th for our 1st yr anny.

I'm really looking forward to losing the gut and to have much better endurance and stamina in my everyday activities. I also live in the same great city as this forums own Tom Stormcrowe and look forward to riding with him and his wife once I get in better shape so I can keep up with him!
So does your wife ride? If not did she ever ride? Some of my best rides are with the better half (we just celebrated 15 years here). There is a problem though when you both ride, you end up with bikes to maintain, that you don't ride.

Case in point, we discovered that the chain on my wifes bike was too short, we bought it used, so not sure how it ended up with a too short chain. Even though big-big is not a combination that you should use, it shouldn't cause the RD to jam.

So me with a rainy day of vacation this last week, put on a new chain that was the proper length, then discovered that some genius (probably the same one that put on a too short chain) had really goofed up the FD settings the cable was too tight and they goofed up the settings to try and compensate. Loosened off the cable, and reset the high and low points (both were wrong) then readjusted the cable pull so now it shifts perfectly. Well as perfectly as the elderly twist grip shifters allow, they have a little play, but work well enough.

Sometimes the best thing to do on a rain day during your vacation is to sit in the garage getting the bikes tuned up.