Bike Forums - View Single Post - The annual "I rode my road bike through deep water" thread
Old 06-21-09, 02:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 64 Posts
The annual "I rode my road bike through deep water" thread

I rode through a 50 yard section of standing water about 18 inches deep today. Obviously I'll wipe down and re oil the chain and derailleur, but what about the bottom bracket, wheel and pedal bearings? All of these parts were totally submerged for about a minute in clean standing water. Can these parts handle an occasional submerging without any problems? I know my Felt hubs have sealed bearings and the Sram GXP bottom bracket might too, but I doubt they can keep all the water out. I rode the bike another 50 miles after the misjudge puddle.

Should I, A) ride it until it starts to make noise, B) Ride it for another 100 miles than have the LBS do their thing, or C) Take it to the LBS ASAP.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-21-09 at 02:23 PM.