Old 06-21-09, 06:42 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Would another set of wheels with clincher rims be a possible option for you? Keeping the other set for posterity of course.

While looking at these pictures, the idea of having an auto body shop hit it with clear coat...maybe while they are clear coating a car...came to mind. They are spraying already, so maybe it wouldn't be that expensive. Better than "rattle can" clear coat? Clear coat can do wonders to old paint...and touch up paint, too.
I might be throwing another set of 27" clinchers I have for now. I don't race and I do tend to gets flats now and again, so the tubulars don't seem very good for my uses. I like the clear coat idea, but I still have a lot of rust removal and cleanup to do, so we'll see.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Some of the rust remaining on the chrome would benefit from oxalic acid treatment IMHO.
I agree and I'll probably be giving that a try soon. I've done some searching on the subject and I can't seem to figure out if it willl damage the paint though....

Originally Posted by KitN
What did you use to clean the bike and get all the rust off?
So far just soapy water and a little but of 000 steel wool.