Old 06-21-09, 10:56 PM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been thinking a lot about this as it has been discussed here.

The 3 foot law as presented doesn't seem to be a bad thing. I mean...just a couple years ago there was a law passed about either having to slow 20 mph below the speed limit or move to the left lane when passing where a police vehicle had pulled over a car. The new law obviously was not needed with the laws written as they were, but (with a long history of officers and cars being hit) drivers weren't following safe driving practices. (big surprise!)

The road would be a much safer place to ride if the existing laws were rigorously enforced and officers were well trained and informed regarding bicycles and vehicle code. Too often the officer's personal opinion of cycling colors their judgment at an "incident"...more often than not drivers not ticketed or hit and runs not investigated because bicycles "don't belong on the road."
Theoretically, the new law would lend specific weight to the ticketing/pursuit of the offender.

Call me jaded, though...I have doubts as to the enforcement or another law.
Perhaps mandated TRAINING AND EDUCATION for those enforcing the laws regarding cycling could be more easily funded. I'm not holding my breath though.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock