Old 06-22-09, 08:41 AM
making

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Chain Cleaner

I know we beat this topic to death but I was thinking bout something on my ride in today in the rain. I ride about 150 miles per week. I switch back and forth between my road bike and my cross check. I took my road bike out yesterday and my chain fell off stopping at a light. No big deal I had it back on before the light changed but I noticed the rear derailer (sp?) was just plain gunky. The grease on my finger was terribly dirty. It seems like I just cleaned my chain and washed the road bike, I know it has been in the last couple of weeks. I also use finish line dry. It often rains during my commute and I just add more lube. I need to keep my chain clean and I need some eaiser way to clean it I will actually do at least weekly.

Here is my idea, I pass a car wash on my commute. Does power washing a chain and rear derailer cause problems. I know to keep it away from bearings and stuff. Then ride another mile while it dries and stop and lube it up. Bad idea? not as bad as not getting around to it for a couple hundred miles?