View Single Post
Old 06-22-09, 09:57 AM
thehum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why, gladly. This question comes up so often I've created a dedicated diagram with a detailed explanation of my setup in response. So here you are, copy-pasted from previous threads. I use plain 'ol cork tape. I've seen people use every type of tape on these, though, from long foam grips to leather Brooks tape. Keep in mind, the tricky part is finding the right angle/bar position that works for you, which took me a bit of trial and error. Also, if you're using GP1s, you might have to cut off some of the end for the shifters/brake levers to fit on the ends of the bar.

Image A: I have mine with the "butterfly wings bowing downward, and tilted about 10 degrees(back to front).

Image B: Using Ergon grips elimated all my wrist pain after extended leaning on bars. Bar tape is a must around the rest of the bars.

The most comfortable positions for me are

1: Using the ergon grips (gives me extended comfort in cities when I need to keep my hands near brakes)
2: Wrapping my hands around the two sharpest curves closest to me (I find myself using this position the most for long distances, which feels most natural and is the most similar to gripping hoods)

When out of saddle or climbing I use:

3: grabbing the upward tilting bar end-like part(especially when climbing)

And when it's flat or downhill and I feel like tucking in I use these positions:

4: grabbing the curve farthest from me(palm facing down)
5: grabbing curve closest to stem (palm facing up), which is similar to grabbing aeros.

I did have to play around with the angle and position of my trekking bars and the ergon grips to get it just right though, but once I found the right position I was very happy with my multitude of positions. If you try setting up your trekking bars I'd suggest to adjust the tilt based on what feels most natural in your saddle using position 2. I find that distributing your weight evenly on your palms is key.

Of course, this is just one way to set up trekking bars. Some people set them up (in relation to mine) upside-down, backwards, or both. I saw someone with clip-on aero bars on his backwards installed trekking bars and someone else with clip-on mtb bar-ends mounted on the bars where I put my hands in position 5 to act like aero bars (I might try the ladder eventually). The great thing about trekking bars is their versatility: They're like combo mustache/flat bars, and if you play around enough you can find a position that works for you. It took me months to discover position 2 (the most comfortable to me) and position 5. Ergons were a godsend. If you get drops, ergons arn't an option, but if you stay with flats or trekking, I'd reccomend ergons with the built in bar ends no matter what.
Also, I just discovered this video of the 2009 Novara Safari bike which comes with trekking bars stock. In the video you can see one way they can be used.

Last edited by thehum; 06-22-09 at 10:03 AM.