Bike Forums - View Single Post - old capiler brake problem
View Single Post
Old 06-23-09, 07:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_chili View Post
I am trying to put this old brake back on my road bike but am having a hard time getting it to really clamp down on the tire. At this point, it kind of slows you down.

I also have an issue with the top tube cable brazes-- one of them has rusted off. Is the way I have it set up in the photo ok?
Absoultely not That type of braze on is a cable guide only for threading continuous housing through, not as a fulcrum for interupted cables.

Ride it that way and you'll not only get poor brake performance (as you now seem to do) but depending on the strength of the attachment to the frame, it may pop off during an emergency stop, causing brake failure and possibly a crash.

Replace the cable threading continuous housing through the remaining guides, and using a cable tie to replace the frontmost one.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.