Old 06-23-09, 08:45 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I ride track at the Superdrome in Frisco. Unfortunately I live in Austin, so don't make it up there as often as I'd like.

1) I'd go with something more solid and with a 1/8" drive chain. Not sure why they would spec 3/32" other than to save themselves $$ and cost you $$ in the long run. Don't worry about wheels for now. OR... Rent what the track has for the first few months until you figure out fit, etc... and then make a more informed buying decision.

2) SPD-SL with the tension cranked all the way up. Works good, a lot of guys use it. You can add straps to it later if you become a match sprint champ.

3) Get 13, 14, 15 and 16 cogs. You will be swapping often throughout any training or racing session. I'm doing OK with only a 48 and 50 chain ring so far. My next buy would probably be a 52.

4) No, riding fixed on the street is nothing like riding on the track. Just go take the intro/safety course that is required at all tracks and then attend the open training sessions.

5) Once you're at the intro/safety course, if they don't cover this, ask the instructor to show you how to do it right. It's no big deal. You will need a 1/8" whip for 1/8" cogs, a 3/32" usually doesn't fit. Yes, you will need to use a lock ring. If you got caught in a mass start race without one, you'd make a lot of people very mad.