Old 06-23-09, 06:42 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Actually, I was referring to the pro jerseys, but the commentary on the nonpro jerseys is definitely appropriate. I'm aware that discounts to clubs can be very helpful - I was more surprised that people would pay a premium for a "pro" jersey that just has corporate logos on it.

And why doesn't running or swimming have similar logo issues with clothing? There are SO many runners, and so many opportunities for logowear, but how often do you see a recreational runner cruising by on the weekend with logowear versus recreational cyclists with similar getups?
Your point is well taken but if a runner is sponsored, it's by a giant corp like Nike. To sponsor a cycling team is much more expensive - they have upwards of 20 riders and travel around the world.

Some of the cycling clubs in the area sell advertising space on their jersey. Makes the club money and gets ad space for the sponsor at a reasonable cost.

I like a plain jersey but it would be more advanatageous for sponsors to pay for my jersey - when I ride by people have more time to read the ENTIRE jersey.