Old 06-23-09, 07:09 PM
szaffiri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How to build a tri bike on a super-tight budget: One member's example

(moderator note)

By request, I've made this thread a sticky. Too often people think that making a tri-specific bike has to be a huge investment, and not everyone has the means or the desire to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get into the sport. This thread is an example of the fact that you can get a usable bike on a shoestring budget if you take the time to look for the good deals...

(end mod note)

I just recently got into triathalons and wanted to do it for as little money as possible. The bike is a 1991 fuji ace that I picked up at a yard sale for $20. After riding it completly stock for a while I picked up the aero bars at another yard sale for $5. Then I got the clipless pedals and a pair of LG carbon tri shoes for $40. Next I got the bull horn bars, stem, and stem adapter all off of craigslist for $20. And most recently I made the foward tilted seat post, and got a fizik saddle off of ebay for $10. So all in all I have about $100 into it, it isnt the prettyest, lightest (26lbs) or fastest bike but it definitly gets the job done for now. I did a sprint tri last weekend in 1:11. I am currently in the process of getting some reverse brake levers and bar tape. So my question for you guys is what do you think of it so far and what other upgrades should I do to it.

Last edited by DrPete; 06-28-09 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For szaffiri: