Bike Forums - View Single Post - help choosing a road crank for a not-a-road bike
Old 06-24-09, 09:38 AM
idodweck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. tried it already but i still spend most of the ride on the big one in front and the 3 small ones behind and for some reason the derailleur is less smooth with the cassette i use (shimano 6500). even when touring with a load. maybe it is bad technique though. the idea is to go up in front in order to use more of the 2nd ring with the middle of the cassette.
I can change the 2nd ring for 42t and the third for 30t but i have the impression the the progression between the rings will be a bit awkward - lot of "space" between the 3rd and the second and much less between the 2nd and the 1st. (40% and 14.3% while 38.5% and 33.3%). so i figured out the i could change the 1st to 50t (the biggest 104mm i could find) in order to compensate but the price of the 3 comes to almost the price of a new crank (100 euros...).

btw I just figured out i might need to change the derailleur to a road and and find a way to adjust the routing for button pull... clamp and such... anyone tried deore xt front with bigger than 48t?