Old 06-25-09, 08:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_antares
The rain here this week has me bummed.

I'm wondering, as the weather warms up, what the best solution for commuting in the rain.

Today I wore light weight wool socks, Specialized MTB shoes and neopreme shoe covers. While this keeps the feet dry, it's going to be too hot once the summer really kicks in.

I know some people ride in sandals. What other options are there for shoes in the rain?
Where is here? Same thing in the Boston area. I ride a beater mountain bike in the rain, and have ridden my road bike only about once in the past two weeks. Today was the first day this week I rode without rain pants. For my feet I wear Totes overshoes, the ankle high length. I have toeclips on the montain bike so I don't need to cut the sole out for clipless pedals. So far it's been in the 60's when I ride and have not been hot. Sometimes the ankle part of my socks gets wet from a gap between the rain pants and the top of the Tote.

I don't take my road bike with clipless pedals out in the rain but if I did, e.g. for a special road event, I have some heavy duty cyclindrical shaped plastic bags from a Bagel shop that I will wear inside my bike shoes to keep the feet dry.