Thread: Fred
View Single Post
Old 06-26-09, 03:08 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo-van View Post
So, it took me a year since I started riding (July 2008) to hear the term Fred which I had to Google. Ouch. If you are over 50, own 2 fancy carbon bikes but ride them lots, do centuries and charity rides, does that remove the Fred designation?
You are not a Fred. But it sounds like you may be well down the road toward OCP.

My concept of Fred has nothing to do with being fast or slow and is definitely not about being geeked out about the latest teckie stuff.

Someone who pretends to be a better rider than he is is a poseur, not a Fred. A poseur who rides the latest tricked out bike while wearing all the right color coordinated bike clothes is an obsessive compulsive poseur (OCP).

A Fred is a clueless dweeb on a bike. The kind of guy who thinks the Huffy he rides with polyester slacks, construction boots, a button up shirt and a BMX helmet will make him fit right in with the A group. It's not that he doesn't care that he looks like a misfit. He doesn't know it.