Old 06-27-09, 10:09 AM
EmmCeeBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
...I know that a touring specific bike has many of the qualities I'm looking for. That said I've not ridden one extended distances to be able to judge the differences. That's why I asked the opinion of existing 520 owners. Do you own one and have constructive answers that you're willing to share, or you just want to take swipes from across the internet?
Wasn't my intention, sorry. I agree with the posts here (and your observation, too) that touring bikes make great commuting bikes. And if that's all your question was about, you'd get 99% agreement.

But I see a question agonizing over where you'd place a touring bike in a 2 or 3 mph range. That's the "hair-splitting" (which I apologize if it sounded like a swipe, I shoulda put in a smiley ): you choose a touring bike for reasons other than speed. If 3 mph is that important, don't choose a touring bike. If ruggedness and purpose-of-design are more important than speed, it'll be an easy decision. Especially, as you say, if you intend to use it for loaded touring.

No, I don't own a 520, so I'm not your expert. But I commuted for years on a different touring bike (it's all I had). Put on high pressure slicks, pedal a little harder, and I never got to work late.

-- Mark