GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Yeah - what he said! ^^^

Man, you guys act like there's something low or dishonorable in being the best domestique in the peloton. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Chris is one of the very best as is Big George. Both extremely capable and valuable in the "road boss" role and extremely versatile - being able to both roll hard on the flats and lead at least the low climbs and occasionally the high ones. Chris had expected to be on the TdF team not because he expected to win but because he's one of the world's top domestiques. It's a team sport - not everyone can be the star. For every Michael Jordon there's a Scottie Pippen and a Steve Kerr. Being the best at what you do is enough for most folks. In my experience - and completely making a generalization here - the European fans get that in cycling more than the American fans. I get it though, but then I was about the only guy in Denver who thought the Iverson for Billups trade was fantastic (I was right).

I don't get Howzit's argument at all. How the heck was Hincapie's career hurt by Lance? Yeah, perhaps he could have gotten a Classic win or two if he'd focused more on them than prepping to tow Lance around France every July. Maybe - there's an awfully big gap between the classics and July, however and he was never going to be a true Grand Tour contender. What DID happen, however, is that he made a heck of a nice living and a HUGE name for himself towing the Big Texan around every summer in the biggest event in the sport. There might not be many kids in the US with Hincapie posters on their wall (my son being an exception to that!) but there sure are in Europe. Big name, big salary, big Nike contract, big Oakley contract. There are a LOT of pro athletes that would give their right eye for a career like that. The vast majority of them! I doubt you'd ever catch George *****in' about it.

Chris Horner? He wouldn't be racing AT ALL in Europe right now if it wasn't for his value in the lead domstique role. Astana didn't hire him to win Grand Tours - they hired him to help other guys win Grand Tours.

Howzit, I assume from your comments that you're the CEO of a major company, right? Me? I'm a pro engineer. They pay me well and coddle me a bit for my value in the engineering lead role. I don't complain that I'm not the CEO. That's not what they pay me for. Pro sports is the same thing - you get paid to do a job. Only one or two guys per team get paid to be the star. Everyone else gets paid to help those stars be stars.

I can't blame Contador for not wanting Horner on the team. The last thing he needs is all of Team Livestrong coming at him. Hinault sure regretted having Hampsten on the team in '86.

Man - for such a common cliche it's amazing how many people don't know that there's no I in Team!

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 06-28-09 at 08:51 PM.