Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Pulled the Trigger on a New Wheelset...

and power meter. I ordered a set of Williams System 30 clincher wheels with a wireless PowerTap mounted in the rear wheel. The PowerTap SL+ from Saris was ordered today and when it arrives at Williams, they will build it into a System 30 rear wheel. The SL+ was ordered in all black so that it will match the hub on the stock wheels. Deliver should be by the end of next week.

System 30 wheels

PowerTap

The wireless PowerTap comes with the ANT+ wireless protocol which will interface with my Garmin 705 to measure power to the rear wheel. I did not buy the HR strap and display package since I have that capability with the Garmin.

I was going to wait for the Quarq crank based system but their situation keeps changing and I decided that having a nice wheelset with power that I could swap between our bikes was better than the crank based system for now.

Many of the members of my racing club race on Williams System 30s so we have a lot of experience and results on this setup. Williams is a club sponsor but that is not why I purchased these although it was great that it worked out.

I wanted a new wheelset that was not carbon. I am not happy with the carbon braking for training. There is no upside in descending fast down windy mountain roads while training. Carbon wheels can delaminate from too much braking and heat. So for training, the System 30 will be much better. I can use my other wheels for hill climbs.

And I can put the new wheelset on my TT bike and train with power or on my wife's road bike. The disadvantage of a wheel based power measurement is that for TT racing, i will change to a disc / trispoke wheel combination and lose the power measurement capability. So be it for now.