View Single Post
Old 07-02-09, 12:01 PM
TheCappucinoKid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
How do you know any of those bikes are available second hand?
Ummm... because I checked?

Consider a folding bike like downtube.com or Dahon. If you want "cheap" try craigslist, or the trash, and repair and replace until you have a bike you like. See if there are courses on bike maintenance given near you.
Thanks, but I'm not looking for a trash bike, nor a folding bike (and I already know how to maintain my bike). I gave a few examples of bikes that resemble what I'm looking for. If there are any opinions on the models I did mention, that would be helpful. I know where to find the bike, so that's not what I was asking about. I'm looking for general information on what to get or look for, with respect to my stated needs (light but with suspension for comfortable urban riding). The GIANT Trans Send suggested is an excellent one (thanks), except for the fact that new bikes are out of my budget, and it does not appear available at any local GIANT dealers (I'm in canada, may be why). I'm still in the dark on the questions I raised:

Q. I am 5'6. What size frame should I look for?

Q. It's mostly for riding in the city, to work or along bike paths (sometimes up steep streets). But on the occasion, I may want to use it for touring in the country areas (ie. longer distance riding). I can only get one bike, so is there a bike that has all these capabilities?

Q. they don't have front fork shocks. I know this will impact the comfort, but does it have a significant impact on the weight? What about the lack of a top bar, does that significantly reduce the weight as well?

Q. Does this mean it (Cypress EX) does not climb hills very easily, with only 7 speeds?

BTW, I can not test ride bikes. My local shops won't let me take their new bikes outside, and dirty them up. They get nervous when I just take them off the rack by myself (fear of scratching them). The best I can do is just look at them real hard. And besides, as mentioned I have no plans of buying one new from a store, so it wouldn't be ethical to waste their time.

Last edited by TheCappucinoKid; 07-02-09 at 12:05 PM.