View Single Post
Old 07-02-09, 04:51 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman_3000
Awful lot of snobbery in our little collecting world. From the top tier of millionaires who buy only Rene Herses or Masi (as many as they can get of the same bike) to MTB collectors who despise Peugeot UO fans and vice versa. And also there is as with all collecting, a "I'm a big spender" fix. As in "I'm worth more than you".
Very true, though the reverse snobbery can be just as bad as the original version, IMO.

Originally Posted by Batman_3000
Also a whole load of blinkers on which means that people read up on what's collectable, rather than looking at bikes and deciding whether, irrespective of what a bike is or isn't deemed to be by other collectors, they want to collect it or not.
Also very true, though that "blinker" thing does seem to be a right of passage for many if not most of us. Of course, lots of folks never take the blinkers off.
Sometimes, too, the bike may be worthy based on history, even when the workmanship doesn't measure up. Of course, that's no excuse for pretending the Emperor is wearing wool when he's stark naked. The discovery of the under-the-radar builders - and understanding why they're underappreciated - is one of the things that makes the hobby really rewarding, or my name's not Picchio Special.

(Lovely bike)