View Single Post
Old 07-02-09, 06:32 PM
Commando303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heypaul
Commando303... You're welcome. I notice you're listed as a senior member. If that refers to your age, then possibly you were remembering that there did exist a connection from the Queensborough Bridge to Welfare Island that existed until 1957. At midspan, the bridge is over Roosevelt Island. There was an 8 story building on the island whose roof connected to the bridge. I think the exact name of the building was the Elevator Storage building, though it was commonly known as the "upside-down building". It got that name because the lobby and main entrance was on the 8th floor top of the building. The trolleys from Manhattan and Queens stopped at midspan and passengers could take an elevator from the 8th floor of the building down to the island. These elevators also took cars and ambulances down to the island as this was the only way vehicles could gain access. This connection was replaced by the rinky dink bridge from Queens which opened in 1955.
It does not refer to my age — — and I had no idea the Queensboro Bridge ever connected to Roosevelt Island. When I took to the former to reach the latter, I just "assumed" a connection existed, and ended up disappointed. I think it'd be nice if the "upside-down building," as you've cited it, still stood (I assume it does not).

Say, how came you across all this information regarding Welfare Island? Are you a resident? Simply interested in its history? Looking up trivia on Google.com for the sake of this thread?