View Single Post
Old 07-06-09, 07:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
Are we allowed to discuss products for sale by others on this forum?

For instance, if I were to say, the blue MASI GC seems over-priced ($2k) given that it has clinchers and galvanized spokes, a crappy seat, repro lever hoods and no bar tape, would that be okay? It has some good components on it, too. However, it seems like it needs new wheels (hubs, rims, spokes, tires) and a few doodads that could easily cost $500-$600 above and beyond the purchase price. That would take it up into the $2500 range. It is a very nice bike but it is far from pristine. I thought $2k was high but when I realized I'd have to add all that additional equipment, it seems very high, really like a deal breaker. What do you thin k about that assessment? Am I being fair, or do I just not understand the price/value of an older MASI?

If the above is inappropriate, I will remove it.
Overall, you're accurate. But perhaps not on the cost of wheels. Allow $200 for a pair of Veloflex Servizio Corse based on the previous Tubular thread. Proper Martano rims would be $300 a pair, so just wait until you need them. Very good sets of tubular wheels used with Campy hubs go for $100 to $200 on Ebay. You may need to replace a rear axle and, when available, a skewer to accommodate the 120 mm spacing versus the more common 126.

You could also get the tires and a set of silver Mavic rims, probably another $100 for rims, and if lucky with rim ERD lace the tubular rims onto the existing hubs. You could also start out with YJ Servizio Corse tires at 3 for $50, and buy used rims to make the tubie conversion. Depends on what your starting and ultimate goals are.

Cinelli tape is $15 to $30 a roll. Velox cotton twill is much less. Not an issue.

Take a saddle from an existing bike in your stable. You don't yet know what saddle would work for you on this frame (I'd start with a used Brooks Pro or Team Pro, myself!). Don't go for full style correctness in one shot, that WILL cost big $$. A vintage Unicanitor or ??

But you'd be experiencing the classic ride right away. It would just get a little better with each improvement, and you'd experience the value of each improvement - such as with tubular tire cost increases.