View Single Post
Old 02-19-05, 03:53 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GarrettM
I've been doing some searching through the past threads and I haven't really found the answers to my questions. First, about how long should I give a saddle (and my rearend) time to break in and get used to it before I start looking for a new saddle? I've put over 310 miles so far on the stock saddle that came on my '05 Fuji Roubaix Pro, and while its not uncomfortable, I wonder if there might be something more comfortable out there. I've read about the Brooks, and some of the Specialized and the Fizik (spelling?) saddles. Just thought I would get some online opinions about how long I should give my bike before I start trying saddles.

My second question is somewhat related. I purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor Bibshorts in size Large when I got my bike. So far, I only have one jersey and one pair of bibs and I am looking to get another pair of bibs The PI pair that I bought were somewhat expensive (around $100). I've read on this forum that some of the Performance brands (not the gel ones) were rather comfortable and cheaper than my PI pair. I've also read that the sizing is different. If I wear a Large in PI, what size would I wear in say the Performance Ultra or Elite Bibs? If anyone can answer these questions I'd really appreciate. Thank you in advance for your help.
You will probably want to look into an upgrade of the stock seat. I don't think that a bike in the price range of the Fuji Roubaix Pro is going to have anything better than about a $40 seat. The two you mention are outstanding choices. I just returned from a 43 mile hammerfest, and was never even aware of my Alias saddle. When I ride my Specialized Sequoia with a cheaper (and softer) stock seat, I am always aware of the seat during the ride. The Arione is a fantastic seat from the feedback I have gotten. As you probably know, it is designed to conform to your body as you break it in.

BTW, if you like the PI Ultrasensors, you will like the Microsensors even more (I have them both). Microsensors are an upgrade with the orange bordered chamois. I got my two pairs on eBay for under a $100 each (new with tags). If you want the Performance ones, their customer service dept. will guide you very accurately as to proper sizing.