Old 07-06-09, 03:20 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
These are pretty bomb-proof. They're very basic and reliable. Getting direct replacement parts for the old Schwinns today can be difficult (28 tpi vs 24 tpi). But many of the smaller parts that go missing can be easily substituted for hardware store parts (little screws and nuts, small fasteners etc).

The 1 3/4 tire width was considered a "middle weight" size-- the balloon tire heavyweights weighed considerably more than these. The Hollywood was a pretty standard model-- common and serviceable. Given the labor and materials costs in US industry now, these bicycles would be very expensive if produced new today (which is why they aren't). The boys ones command significantly more than their girls counterparts (teenage boys BEAT on this stuff). The bikes were built to be a counterpart to the cars and motocycles of their eras, and their build reflects that-- heavy duty. I have to admit the boys paint schemes back in the day were pretty slick. I don't care for the girly pink and white combo they used on some of them. I think if you are patient you'll sell that bike.