View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 10:31 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether I get flats or not depends mostly on my tyres (except when the farmers trim the thorn hedges we use here in England. They run along the side of the roads with a tractor driven flail and throw horrible thorny debris all over the roads. Some of these thorns are 1.5" long and incredibly tough and sharp.

I had a bad experience with stelvios and thorns and got rid of them. On my Merc I have some very tough Chinese made kevlar tyres (Chen Shin brand). I have only had three punctures in 3600 miles and one of these was caused by a glueless patch giving out a few days after a repair, so really, I have had two flats in a total of 7200 tyre miles (3600 x 2tyres) of mostly city riding with plenty of broken glass to be negotiated. Both of the flats in these tyres were caused by thorns.

I have never had such good puncture resistance in any tyres over nearly 50 years of riding bikes.

My strida copy has had a few punctures in not many miles, but those tyres are not fortified with impregnable tape.