View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 07:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've got 'micro adjust' SRAM stuff, and it has 7 or 8 clicks available. I start with the shifter indicating "2" then downshift 2 clicks. Then I pull all of the slack out of the cable and tighten it. The cable *must* be in the slot or the pull radius will be wrong. Then I shift up two clicks and use the fine-adjust to center the derailleur over the middle chainring. Now downshift _3_ clicks and use the low-limit to center the derailleur on the granny ring. Finally, shift 2 clicks *above* the "2" indicator and make sure it's centered. (It should be.) Adjust the top limit screw to to about a half turn above the current location of the derailleur. This allows for overshifting to get the chain up on the big ring. I have 12-14 difference from the middle ring; if you have less you may not need the overshift function. If your derailleur is riding within a mm or two of the chainring, that shouldn't be enough to let it shift off the outside of the big ring.

Yeah, someone over in mechanics will probably say this is all effed up, but it works for me.