View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 10:50 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi, this was a nice thought. Levi in my opinion is getting old, yes he was climbing very poorly in the giro but lance was working for him also so thats kind ' of xplains why lance sucked in the mountains. So i doubt Levi will do anything much more than trying to keep himself as up as posible in the GC classification as always do. Lance is coming back and as much he rides as better he is getting, i bet he is suffering more than before but he is getting better, so for sure he will do ok in the mountains.

Now, the problem with what you say is that besides the shleck guys, contador, sastre, menchov, LA, kloden and maybe levi (based in what i said before, maybe) there are not more climbers/all around contenders for the GC. All of the other racers can't even dream how to crack astana in the mountains. If you are not a climber you simply don't have the legs to even follow a climber, or even dare to attach a climber, thats the cruel reality. Even if you try, after the second attach you are toasted, in a matter of fact the climbers wont even care about the attacks. They know they can chase just in a few kilometers.

Only a climber can knock down a climber, if it was so easy i bet cancellara's team would be thinking right now how to keep the yellow even in the mountains, FC is a super fast man but all his power means nothing in the mountains, so it is obvious that saxobank not even in their wildest dreams will try to partner with other team to crack pure climbers because that could be suicidal for their intentions. I'm sure other teams are thinking the same thing, the problem with the mountains is that basically every racer is at his own practically.

The best example of what i'm saying is cadel evans, he doesnt have a team and he is not a climber either. As it happened to him before, before even the start of the real climb cadel will be at his own sucking wheels (what else he can do?? it is understandable after all,). Other teams will face the same problem... so for sure no teams will partner to crack 3 or 4 guys who climb so well that miss 2 or 3 attaches means nothing for them because they can get those guys back only in a few kilometers...

This year as usual in the mountains stages some people will get 5 or 10 minutes ahead and they will be chased like nothing by the climbers. The good thing about having the astana people getting so much time is that probably we will see in action to the schleck guys, sastre and menchov maybe before than expected. That will make the race pretty interesting. Remember the only pure climber in astana is contador the other guys are more like all arounders, so as much minutes they get the better.

Thanks.