Old 07-09-09, 04:44 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
There is a lot to group riding and those "A" group boys will know to do it. It is not just going fast and although they may be prepared to let complete newcomer to group riding into their pace line- They will be wary of you.

Pace line riding takes a brain and quick reactions. If you don't have them- you are trouble so Slow down for a while and learn the group riding skills with tyhe "B" group for a couple of rides.

Or tell the "A" group that you would like to join them to see if you are fit and fast enough- but ask to sit at the back until you have learnt the skills. That won't help much as they will try to lose you as soon as posiible but at least you will know if you are good enough.
Good advice but I want to be clear that I was not trying to go fast in the B group, in fact I was slowing to stay with them. One weird, at least to me, thing I noticed when riding with the B-Boys was a few of them as I was behind them were in the small front ring and spinning like crazy as we were on a flat road.It would seem to me if they were to go on the big ring and a lower one on the back they could pick up a little speed. I dunno. It could have been that they were waiting on someone who was having trouble for all I know too.?

I know that a A group will be very wary of a new guy and as a new guy I would surely let them know and I would want to stay back and see how fast it would take to drop me. I know I have no experience in a paceline so going in the A group would not be the place to learn without them knowing me and how I ride. So if I continue to ride in the group rides, and that may not happen to be honest as I really just like riding solo,I would learn slowly all the group aspects of it and then let them know me as well.

It was different for sure.

EDIT: Okay I just got an e-mail from the group B leader. I had e-mailed him apologizing for leaving them and he replied saying no roblem. He told me that two of the guys were infact slow and wont be there next week and that next week for me to come back and the pace will be faster. He talked of a paceline so maybe I will check it out but being sure that I let them know I have never been in one before.
Sounded good but then there were other B riders and they were not ...well before I go talking anything about anybody I better be sure I know what I am talking about. I am sure it will be a learning curve for me if I go.
( think I am starting to babble so....) *poof*

Last edited by kr32; 07-09-09 at 04:56 PM. Reason: new info