View Single Post
Old 07-09-09, 05:05 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Tubus Fly with Quick Release Adaptor.
www.thetouringstore.com
This rack is LIGHT and very functional.
Lone Peak front panniers work great for a cc tour, and if you ever do a loaded tour, you already have something usable.
I'm aware of the Tubus Fly rack, but I don't think I need the carrying capacity it provides. Most of the stuff I'm planning to take packs pretty nicely into the smallest backpack I own, which I think is around 1000-1100 cubic inches. Tools and spares take another 125 cubic inches in an under-seat wedge. Ideally, I'm trying to limit myself to 10-15 pounds over what I'd carry for an unsupported century so a rear rack and panniers seem like overkill...

I wouldn't carry more than 1-2 day of snacky food, there are plenty of places to resupply as long as you aren't wedded to a specific product. If you can use granola bars or cookies instead of clif bars, you're fine.
During long rides, I've found that eating random junk from local convenience stores leads to stomach upset as often as not. I'm trying to find at least 3-4 commonly available foods that will work for me. Granola bars sound like a good bet; I'll give them a try on this weekend's training ride...