View Single Post
Old 07-10-09, 04:21 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jhmiller
I have the M520s on my roadie, riding with Specialized BG Pro carbon MTB shoes, both acquired when I was only an offroad guy. At first I thought it would be fine, but now that I'm riding centuries and doing more serious hill climbs I can really feel the impact of the smaller pedal platform. The carbon soles prevent pressure points, but I find hotspots developing because of the shoe canting slightly on the downstroke.

IMO if you're going to invest in nice shoes for road riding you might as well make them road shoes. You can pick up workable road pedals for significantly less than the cost of nice shoes.
I use M520's on the MTB's but when I went road I got the A520's. Single sided-longer platform for the feet- about the same retail price and take the same cleat. They are more comfortable on the feet with the same shoe after long milage- And I can recommend them.

And on new shoes- I went for the standard MTB style shoe as you can walk around in them. But I did try on a pair of smooth soled road shoes in the shop and could not walk around in them. And that was without the cleat fitted. Unless walking is to a minimum- i.e door to the bike and you never get off till you get home- Get an MTB style shoe for an SPD pedal.

Spike Milligan