View Single Post
Old 02-21-05, 10:43 AM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metro
Please forgive my asking silly questions, but I have zero experience here. I don't want to screw it up. I am in the process of upgrading from Shimano 105 to an Uletgra power train and FSA Carbon Pro cranks. I have a crank puller (CCP-4) and an 8mm hex wrench. I still need a torque wrench (have to be careful with carbon, I think).

I have removed the hex nut from the non-chain side and upon attempting to remove the crank arm find that it won't budge. I did check for additional washers in the hole (none). My question is this, how do I remove the crank arm. My park tool has a tip that screws on/off the tool. I assume that you thread the extractor into the arm assembly with the tip installed in the extractor and back the crank out by tightinening with the extracter handle. Problem is, It looks like the tip is hitting the 8 "splines" inside the crank assembly rather than pushing through to the bracket assembly. Is that correct? I was told this is the correct tool. Do I remove this to remove the crank? I tried the same thing on the chain ring siith the same results. I can look through the bb and see that it is hollow. Am I correct is assuming the I should "force" the tip of the puller through the hole in order to remove the cranks? I have tried it without the the top attached only to find the puller "snugs" in the opening. I want to sell the 105's on Ebay to finance my power train upgrade to Ultegra, so I don't want to damage them.

Also, once I have removed it. I assume that I insert the new crank arms manually and torque the hex screws to hold it in place. How much torque should I use? FSA directions are not clear with regard to the 105 botom bracket, which I am not removing now. (Later I will purchase and install an Ultegra bracket).
If that tool didn't come with instructions ?? The repair section at www.parktool.com has the drill. You have the right tool. The tool is suppose to bear against the BB spindle to push the crank off it.

Last edited by sydney; 02-21-05 at 11:02 AM.