Old 07-12-09, 07:25 AM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I look at it as a cost/benefit issue. If you plan to use the shoes for another few years, then by all means, go to a cobbler and spend the $30-$50 that it'll cost to have them fixed right. If you just want them to last a while longer, I'd go with a DIY solution.

Seriously, Shoe Goo is probably one of the best purpose-specific products I've ever used. It really has exceeded my expectations. I've used the stuff on dress shoes, hiking boots, and tennis shoes and the repairs have all held. I'll bet you a dollar this stuff will fix your shoes for the rest of the season, at least. In case you're wondering why I'm so enthusiastic, it's because I just discovered this stuff a couple of years ago (even though it's probably been around forever) and it has worked like a charm on everything I've thrown it at.

I wouldn't bother with super glue or Gorilla glue as they aren't ideal for connections that flex. Hot glue, maybe -- the stuff doesn't seem to retain it's hold over time for me, especially with non-porous surfaces (like the sole of your shoe).