Thread: Cat 4/5 races
View Single Post
Old 07-13-09, 02:39 PM
shawntp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys - I am in the same boat as others - considering my first CAT 5 race this weekend in the Troy Classic in Ohio.

I really just straight up lack the confidence to go out and do this though.

My good friend is a Pro that got me into riding and keeps urging me to race. I feel like I am new to the sport (have ben riding regularly for 2 years) and not at the ideal weight yet - when I go out there I really want to be able to hang on.

I am currently 5'11' and ~174 lbs (i could stand to lose about 10 more to be a slender race fit) and optimal power to weight.

I do group training rides 2-4 times a week which is a 20 mile loop with a few potential stop lights. I hang on fine now and am ok hanging onto surges up to 33 mph for a minute or so and ok with constant speeds of 25-27 mph when in the draft. I also ride 8-10 miles before and after the group ride so my daily rides are 35-40 miles.

If I pull through on a more moderate paced ride I can not pull for very long - I am just toast afterwards too (need a draft and moderate speed or a stop light to recover). I'd say 26-27 is the most I can pull for 15-30 seconds without needing to peel off. I can sprint ok at the end of the group ride also (35mph - my max has been 38).

My buddy says I have exceptional acceleration (I can jump and close gaps good). I suck at climbing, pulling through at the front, keeping any sport of power up when riding solo. I am ok at cornering.

I have this mind block that I need to get to get really thin before I go race (lose 10 more lbs) but most people would probably say I am thin already.

I just have this mental block about racing - scared of getting dropped - scared of crashing in a sloppy group when I am used to training with a *mostly cat 3* group - scared of dislocating my shoulder for the 3rd time or worse.

My cardio level, leg strength, and power/speed is all ready I think.

My tummy and brain are not though.