Old 07-14-09, 05:34 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chichi
I have used Wipperman, YBN & Superlink. It must be the pins in the master link wearing, when I replace the master link chain length is back to normal
Thanks for the additional details chichi....

I've only used the Sachs PowerLink (blew one apart), the SRAM PowerLink II's (only because the came gratis with the chains) and the SuperLinks. However, and I'm not sure why, we've had excellent durability with the SuperLinks using my lowly, old-school hot-melt chain wax method.

In fact, after the thread was running I found myself cleaning the residue of Amish horse-drawn buggy manure off our Calfee after riding for three days at the Eastern Tandem Rally in Lancaster, PA and made a point of checking the various SuperLinks I had on our Calfee, attached to spare chains and sitting in tool boxes for wear with my MA-1 eyeball and the Vernier Calipers. I didn't see a one that needed replacement but, then again, I didn't use my Park chain checker to evaluate the net effect on a link held in suspension by a tensioned chain.

I may need to do that to baseline the sync chain anyway as I also broke down and installed a half-link to move the eccentric to a more neutral position (never specify an even numbered stoker compartment; always go with the 1/2" increments, e.g., 28.5, 29.5, 30.5, etc...).

Perhaps the link on our Ventana will show some more aggressive wear...

Last edited by TandemGeek; 07-14-09 at 05:49 PM.