View Single Post
Old 07-15-09, 02:35 PM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
How do you like those cranks? They're pretty cheap a lot of places.
I have the same crank on my Specialized CX and like it a lot--very stiff and seem to have narrower Q factor than other cranks I've tried.

A couple words of warning: these were recalled due to fracturing on the non-drive side. The machining seems to have weakened them in the mid-section of the NDS arm. See details here: http://www.ritcheylogic.com/news_article.php?id=495 . But they did fix the problem by beefing up this part of the crank and reissuing--just make sure whatever cranks you're looking at have the date code after the problem became known.

Also, these take a Shimano Octalink BB, which for a while were becoming hard to find--I think they've since started offering more options for replacement in their 105 line (phasing out Ultegra and Dura Ace). All the same, a cheap crank will still require some more investment in an outmoded (but still perfectly fine) BB.

Hope this helps.