Old 07-17-09, 05:54 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snaproll
I used to be a runner - back in the day. Now I'm taking up running again and have a marathon planned for late October.

I ride quite a bit but I was in no way prepared for running. It's just different from cycling and it has taken me a lot of miles to even begin to feel comfortable again. I've started very, very slowly to try to avoid shin and knee problems. I get a deep tissue massage and a stretch from a MT once or twice a week to try to prevent injury. So far, so good. The big thing is to go slow - run slowly and build up miles slowly. Running injuries seem to take a long time to fully recover from.

One surprise... running has negatively effected my cycling. It just takes me a long time to recover from a run, and if I run in the morning and cycle that afternoon I'm not very strong on the bike.
I could see that. I'm planning to ride on the designated day with no weights or running to interfere. My rides tend to morph into 5 hour events anyway so there'd be no time for that. I see a similar effect when lifting: if you start with exercise B then exercise A is substandard, and vice versa. I'll take these issues more into account if/ when I become more competitive with the running and or cycling. Thanks for your response.