View Single Post
Old 07-18-09, 04:14 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by army14
I am attempting my first century. I have chosen Ventura, CA to Lompoc. I'm not a strong climber and the elevation looks pretty good until I get to Gaviota.
Why go to Lompoc and not just to Goleta and back?

Has anybody done this route
I've ridden all of it except for the 1 to Lompoc.

and can share some tips?
The earlier you start the less windy it is.

Are the headwinds really that bad along the 101?
They can be. They are predominantly from the southwest so it's pretty much a strong headwind the whole way.

Is the Gaviota tunnel really that scary?
I've never worried about it too much but some people won't ride it. There is a [narrow] sidewalk inside you can walk it if it makes you feel safer.

Is the climb out of Gaviota for about 5 miles really a 8% grade and difficult?
The climb from Gaviota to the 1 is fairly shallow, but from what I understand the 1 itself is a pretty good climb.

I plan on going in August sometime. Does anyone know of a good route that they have taken? I have done some research and the routes are not real clear. Thanks, Chris
From Ventura you pretty much get on PCH until it dumps you onto the 101 around La Conchita. You're on the 101 for about 3 miles to Bates road, then you can get on the 150 and go left to get to Carpinteria Ave. Take that all the way through Carpinteria until at some point you have to cross over the freeway onto Via Real. That road goes through Summerland, Montecito, and Santa Barbara (changes names a few times). In Santa Barbara you can take State Street all the way through to Goleta, it changes to Hollister and eventually dumps you back out onto the 101, which you take past Gaviota to the 1.