Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
No Yen,

You don't have to retire to ride AC. Vertical Bob is 60+, works construction and has plenty of power left to climb. Big John's not retired and I'm sure not; don't think Valleygirl is retired but I don't know for sure.

Just ride up AC a little ways and when it gets to be too much, just coast back down. Keep trying and each time you'll get a little further. The same technique will work on GMR/GRR too, if that's closer for you.

Rick / OCRR
Rick, I've considered doing that on Mt. Baldy. It's riding distance from home (well, so is La Canada, but a lot further). Just ride until I can't take it anymore, then turn around. I might be able to spin up that mountain on the Surly (very low gearing). The main thing I don't have is time. I leave for work at 5:30 a.m. and get home after 5:00 p.m. There's only time for a short ride when the hurry-up-to-get-home traffic is at its peak and drivers eyes/brains/minds are very tired, and it's HOT. In winter, only night riding and I'm not going up Mt. Baldy alone at night. There's a way and I'll figure it out -- just not sure what it is yet.