View Single Post
Old 07-21-09, 02:45 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Can't say that I really see the point in either footprints or groundcloths. I've got tents that range in age from 5 years to 34 years and haven't used a ground cloth with any of them. The oldest one is showing some deterioration of the fly from UV damage and a couple of them have had issues with the zippers, but none have had any problems with the floor. And if they ever did it doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fix a rip in the floor. Worst case I'd consider using a groundcloth at that point, placed inside the tent as a secondary floor and wrapping a little up the sides. But in the meantime I've saved the effort of carrying the extra weight for the last 34 years.

And the 'Fastpack Option' seems to me to be marketing's idea to be able to quote a lower weight. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually pitch just the fly/footprint combination when camping. I've seen people just spread out their stuff on a groundcloth in good weather, and I've seen flys being used as tarps. But if I'm going to bother putting up the poles, fly, and footprint; why not pitch the tent as well and keep out any bugs.