Old 07-22-09, 06:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
I've got some regular, no-name, metal cages and large Polar bottles. Several times, lately, I've hit a bump and my rear bottle falls out of the cage. Usually it just comes loose but one time it came all the way out and wedged in between my crank and frame. If I'd lost it, I'm afraid it would have wedged in a spoke or figured out some other way to make me wipe out.

Are there any cages out there that have a tighter grip than others? I'm not particularly concerned about weight.
As suggested on another BF thread a few months ago, just loop a rubber band through the bottle cage and over the neck of the bottle. I presume Polar bottles are a specific type of bottle. I like Polar, or Poland Springs brands of flavored carbonated water, in liter and half liter sizes respectively, neither of which fits well in the cage, either too big or small. I had that problem of losing bottles, but not since using the rubber bands.

The OP of that aforementioned thread posted a picture, but it should be fairly obvious how to loop the band.