Old 07-22-09, 10:38 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
Hi everyone,

Now a quick look at Dura-Ace 9 speed chains have a few on offer with different numbers of links. There is a 116 and 114 I can find. Will either do? As I understand it they normally remove links to get it to the correct length.

Also, can anyone suggest what may be the best replacement for these parts while keeping everything compatible. I'm not really concerned about weight, but mostly durability while maintaining shifting performance, so I probably wouldn't go with the Dura-Ace chain.

Would it be an idea to stick with Ultegra everything, or perhaps go down to 105 or even Tiagra? Would it make a difference?.

1. You can count the number of links on your existing chain to see how many you need. Quite frankly, I never paid attention to the number of links on a new chain (114 v 116), but I've always had to remove links.

2, I am partial to SRAM cassettes and chains. Their 9 spd and below chains have the cool Powerlink, which allows you to bread and connect a chain in a few seconds using only your thumb and forefinger. Makes maintenance a snap.

3. No need to stick with Ultegra everything. My road bike came with Ultegra everthing except for cassette (105) and chain. I recently replaced the casette and chain with SRAM. My mountain bike has Bontrager cranks, Shimano LX front der, Shimano XT rear der, SRAM cassette and SRAM chain. All components play well together.