Old 07-18-02, 05:26 AM
Don Johnson
The Duke of Furl

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little late on this lighting thread and I know what I am about to write has nothing to do with generators but maybe not everyone wants or can afford a generator for their bike.

My Trek was equipped with a white reflector on the front fork and was held fast by a very stout mounting bracket. I removed the reflector and bent the bracket so the portion where the reflector used to be attached was now basically parallel to the road. With a hose clamp from the auto-parts store, I mounted a waterproof flashlight that runs on 2 D-cells batteries. The light has an adjustable beam, bulbs that are available almost everywhere as is the energy source, and has been a very inexpensive system to put together.

bracket: came with the bike
hose clamp: $1.29
flashlight: $0.50 at a yard sale

Believe it or not, I have actually been "flashed" by oncoming traffic on a couple occasions because the light was too bright. A simple reach over the bars and turn of the head of the light adjusted the beam to a cover a wider swath and was less annoying for oncoming traffic.

From time to time I still contemplate getting a "real" bike lighting system that is a little lighter in weight but this setup works so well, why change? The mounting system obviously doesn't look as professional as the specifically-designed systems, but it is not unattractive either (in my opinion).

I have a pic but it is too large of a file to send across the forum. If you are interested, drop me a note off-list and I'll mail one to you direct. That is, until I figure out how to reduce the file size...any suggestions?

DJ