Old 07-23-09, 10:50 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JCFlack
Anyway, if I get a new wheel, at least I have the opportunity to get one with better gears for a small wheel. The one I saw on the gaerlan site can take an eight or nine speed cassette in place of my original six speeds, and the highest gear could be 11t-48t instead of my 14t-48t. A Capreo would be even faster.
are you sure it's 11-48T cogs ? i haven't seen one that slow. maybe you're talking about 11-34 ? anyway i checked gaerlan and my - 16" rear wheel cost a fortune. it is even more what i paid for my tokyo. go to your LBS and i am pretty sure they have a ready made 16" wheel. our local LBS has them and they only cost around $39-49 for the whole set of rear wheel. you need to tell them that you have a freewheel. they can even install it for you. my advise, as what the others told me before, is not to upgrade the tokyo. it might be better to get a used dahon or something else off CL and upgrade it. that's what happened to me. when i had my tokyo the first thing i noticed is the gear setup. it is so slow. so i decided to get a used boardwalk and upgrade it. i ended up paying more for the components than the cost of my boardwalk. i save a ton of money though as i did the upgrading myself. investment might be pretty high also since i have to buy all the tools. think of this a time to add a new folder to your collection.....

thanks,
vic