Old 07-26-09, 01:31 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tclong03
hi there, i have a soon to be 6 year old that loves to ride also. but right now we put him on a cheap wlamart bike to get him to learn on , and now it is time to move up. i am torn though between a geared bike or a single speed though. whatever i get is gonna carry him till he is 9 or so. I am likeing the gear option myself right now.
We've got 6yr olds with single speed and gears (usually 5 - 7 gears). Bear in mind that he may well struggle to understand how to use them/ use them instinctively for a year or two.

Another thing to take into account is that many shifters, particularly grip shifter types, are very hard to use simply because they are very stiff to move.

Of course, if you have a hilly route you can take him on, the learning curve steepens pretty smartly. If the geography round your way is pretty flat, go for single speed and, above all, no suspension. It's almost always inadequate, too heavy and leads to money being saved in component quality unless you spend silly amounts.

By the way, he may rebel, as a 5' tall 9 year old, at riding with his knees round his ears