View Single Post
Old 02-25-05, 11:25 AM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soda
I have a commuter bike that is now hanging in my garage because the LBS (new city) could not get the BB out when it went bad. I rode that bike for a good 6-7 years and since it was my first bike, I had NO clue about upkeep and my old LBS (old city) never ever recommened that I bring the bike in for service. My new LBS, is great at that and when they suggested that I get the BB removed and regreased once a year I looked at them with disbelief and they probably thought I was nuts for never getting my BB serviced.

Long story short: the BB seems to be fused to the frame and since the BB is trash, so is the frame. I have a new commuter that I am learning to upkeep it myself but I'd like to ressurect my old commuter frame and build a new bike from scratch myself. Is there ANY way I can get the BB out without doing damage to the frame? What if I let it soak in some gasoline for a week? Any ideas?

The frame is chro-moly and I bought the bike new in 1996 (I think). It was a Giant Yukon if that makes any difference.
Step away from the gasoline! There is suitable stuff for attacking frozen threads at auto supply stores. If that and proper tools and locking the tool to the BB and using a vice or other leverage fails, It can always be cut out. Often a heavy hammer applied to the end of a big wrench will knock one loose.Again, the removal tool should be securely locked to the BB before attempting.