View Single Post
Old 07-29-09, 09:07 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
I was in the parking lot at the grocery store putting the bags up in my car. There was a car that I saw was exiting the parking lot, going a bit fast in my opinion. The guy didn't stop before entering the street even though there was not a stop sign.

There was a kid, maybe 8 years of age or so, that was riding on the sidewalk, but going against the flow of traffic. The driver just nailed him. It was terrible. The little kid was knocked unconscious and somebody called the ambulance. When the kid started to come back to his senses, he was screaming in agony about his leg.

There was a crowd that formed so I couldn't see his injuries. I'm just wondering though. Is the driver at fault?
At least partially, yes. When leaving a parking lot even if there isn't a stop sign or light one should slow down and look for all forms of traffic.

I had a similar close call this past weekend, I was passing a bus that was in a right hand turn lane that was in front of bowling alley. There is a bus stop in the right turn lane, and the bus stop is just a couple of yards south of the driveway coming out of the parking lot.

Instead of waiting for the bus to pass to make sure that it wasn't "hiding" anything the driver just pulls right out into the street.