Old 07-30-09, 01:53 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
I never felt like the BOB was overtaking me on fast downhills. Oh, and a bike's forward inertia wouldn't be any different with panniers vs a properly loaded trailer, all else being equal. If you disagree, please explain.
My disagreement:
Panniers and anything else tied securely to your bike don`t hinge (articulate?) in the middle. When you brake your bike, the weight stays in line. With a trailer, it stays in line with the wheels for the most part, but if it starts to wobble, if you don`t make a nice smooth curve (like a sudden swerve for a pothole or other minor road hazzard), or even if you hit a bump staright on and the trailer bounces a little, the momentum of the trailer (with no brakes of its own) can and will try to carry the trailer`s weight past the bike (whose speed IS being held in check by the brakes). If the trailer itself is like a canoe, remember that the bike is a separate canoe and only the one in front has brakes.

For the most part, it isn`t a big deal- just keep it in mind and watch your speed. If you get carried away, you`ll definitely know it. I`ve never crashed do to that, but I`ve sure felt the effects ofmy Bob trying to pass my bike and always straightened things out by letting off the brakes until all was smoothed out again. For this reason, I`d also add "keep your line smooth" to the list of handling tips.