Old 07-31-09, 10:41 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding with patellar tendonitis

I'm having yet another flare-up of tendonitis pain in both knees. Extensive reading leads me to believe I have the variety known as "Patellar Tendonitis", with pain just below the kneecap. This week, after two 1-hour easy rides on Monday and Tuesday (low gears, mostly flat, no hills, moderate pace) I'm having a new symptom -- mild shooting pains on the front of my leg from the knee down, and mild pains even while sitting (even as I sit here this morning, after no riding for 2 days).

Now, before I go any further, I want to add I WILL SEE A DOCTOR, AND SOON. I'm asking about this in this forum because... well... older riders, older knees.

My riding has been somewhat inconsistent since the weather heated up, yet it seems I've been riding long enough and often enough that my knees should be stronger by now. I am not overweight, so weight is not an issue. I apply ice after rides. Stretching..... I could do more stretching and I'm working on that but I do a little after each ride. I took an Advil after each ride this week, but I don't take it all day long because I'll develop heartburn very soon. I eat a healthy diet, and as long as I'm not losing weight I believe I'm eating enough, and I believe I'm consuming enough good protein.

Today, I'll take a look at the saddle position and see if I can make any adjustments there. Since I bought the Surly, I've changed the saddle twice (I added the Brooks B17, then replaced it with a Terry Butterfly). I did not experience pain this consistently on the Roubaix, which I now ride less often.

If a saddle adjustment doesn't seem to work, I plan to pay a visit to the fitter-owner of our favorite LBS.

QUESTION: Has anyone experienced this form (or any form) of knee tendonitis and found relief while continuing to ride? Every resource I've read about this problem says to rest and avoid the activities that caused it, which could mean weeks or even months off the bike (and weeks or months of fitness down the drain).