View Single Post
Old 08-02-09, 10:58 AM
ddez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDR
I don’t think this is still the case. The 2009 bikes come as standard with the rear frame clip and the brakes have been improved (and work very well). You can specify an extended seat post for free on a custom B-spoke order. There are three different handlebar types to suit different tastes (I prefer the S-type as it gives a more sporty forward reach position). And with the new wide rage hub you can have a good gear range.

I know when I first looked at Bromptons a few years ago I criticized the look of the brake levers and the two separate gear levers on the 6 speed models...... now that I own a 2-speed S-Type the gear levers are not an issues as I only have one lever on the left that works perfectly well and incorporates a bell (I like the design). I have grown to like the Brompton brake levers to the point that I would not like to see the factory change the design.

I think it would be easier to compare the Tikit against the Brompton over in the USA where they are both on sale, but here in the UK the Tikit is such a rare bike that it is not really a competitor to the Brompton. Most people looking for a folding bike in the UK can easily find a local Brompton dealer and have a test ride.... whereas if you want a Bike Friday Tikit you are going to have to travel a good distance to see one, or buy one mail order and then just hope that you are really going to like it.

I called into several bike shops last time I was in London and asked if they stocked Bike Fridays and all I got was a puzzled look and a “Bike who”.... then a “we have some Bromptons”

There are only three companies left in the UK who make real British hand- made bikes (Moulton, Pashley and Brompton) and part of the attraction of these bikes is the traditional style and craftsmanship and most people don’t want to see these companies go all high tec and futuristic at the expense of losing their traditional roots.

Brompton (and Moulton) owners tend to have the same sort of love for their bikes as owners of the original Mini, VW Beetle (Bug) or MG cars have and that is something you don’t find with a lot of other bike brands.

It all depends what you want, traditional British craftsmanship or innovative designs from a modern fast paced company.
I think Brompton themselves say it so very Britishly on there web site."marketing waffle is given short shrift here."I personally own a Brompton partially for that reason(and a Brooks)but as the car sales guy said once "theres a bum for every seat"I find it interesting to see and hear why different people choose things.