View Single Post
Old 08-04-09, 04:14 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure what I thnk about this. Repairing things in general is not don much in ths part of Africa. It says bikes is not popular and skills and tools is not awailable. Sounds like just another white elephant. I tryed to start using more oxen since they are strong, slow but quite relyable and locally available. Peopel wanted to use the tracto.No fuel, no money for fuel, no tubes for the rear wheels.. They still wanted to use the tractor.

I think bikes are great for Africa, but if they do not think it them selves there is nothng we can bring in or tell them to change that. I think if/when they decide bikes are good they can manage to get them and repair them on theyr own.

Bikes without brakes is no suprise. Most cars has got no brakes (or lights) and often the driver is drunk.

I`ve seen amazing things done to cars by mechanics that had no spares and no tools, but still did amazng things.

The clue is to convince them this is a good solution, not to show them how it is done and bring in the tools.

Also around where I live the refugees do not want bikes, they want cars. Almost all the males are learning to drive or just got the lisence. I think it is a part of being poor and not educated. We all want the best for our self and our familys, but there is different opinions about what is the best.

This could be some great months in Africa, but do not expect to make a big difference.