Old 08-04-09, 07:28 AM
crockett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road trip report...

Here's what I did... Flew into Sacramento with bike via Southwest (cheap air fare, only charge 50 per bike box -very cheap). Very nice, and small airport. Drove from there to Placerville - halfway point of total drive, and spent a day there touring - beautiful wine country with lots of vineyards to visit and drink at (free wine!). I also played a round of golf - there is also lots of fruit orchards to visit, mines to explore, etc. Next day I drove the back way to Markleeville (ride starting point) so I could see better vistas and drive the 5th pass (Carson).

I was on the austerity plan (be cheap) ... so I rented a bedroom in someone's house. This is common for the ride - and the Markleeville Chamber of Commerce gives you a name of person. I paid 100/night - but there were others in the house paying less (and more) depending on if they were on a bed, couch, or floor.

Day after ride I had to be back in Sacramento for a flight - so I drove back straight thru - this time on the major highway - and it was almost as pretty as drive in ... and only took 2 hours.

Of course, many of the riders stayed in South Lake Tahoe - which is incredibly beautiful - and a wonderful vacation spot - so many riders were combining family vacations with their ride... keeps a happy home if something for everyone....

My .02 - FWTW

J