VaderSS
Skill Seeker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wondering what I had, Motobecane Touring Bike

My first 10 speed bike was purchased at a garage sale in the late 70's. It was a silver Motobecane touring bike that was too tall for me at the time, but wound up being just right.

I don't remember what happened to it, but I had a lot of fun on the bike, and rode it for about 5 years. I wonder what it was. I've not seen anything else like it so far.

Here is what I remember about it;

10 speed

quick release hubs

Rims that had a "tread" pattern on the side where they brakes shoes contacted them. The rims were also a strange size. I had to replace one at some point, and the bike-shop could not get that size. They put a regular sized rim in it's place, but I don't remember what size now. I seem to remember they had to change the brake caliper when they did that.

Regular, not extension brake levers

The brakes were Weinman center pulls with a quick-release cam on the center pull piece

Downtube shifters with a little loop that you could pull out and turn to adjust the friction tension, the shifter levers were bare textured metal, no cover, and the levers mounted onto braze-ons on the side of the downtube

No chain guard on the front and no "pie plate" spoke protector on the rear

Full fenders with lights that were integrated into the fenders with wires that ran inside the fenders

A bottle generator that was mounted onto a braze-on boss, the generator had a rubber cover to protect the tire.

A rubber/plastic seat cover over a "matress" type spring support system. The seat cover could be removed to see the springs beneath.

A tool kit in a rubber/plastic bag that attached to the seat Almost every tool needed to work on the bike was included.

Braze-on posts for an air-pump, but the air-pump was missing.

A spoke lock for the rear wheel that had a braze-on boss. push a bar that kept the wheel from turning and the key would pop out. The key was left in when riding.

Pedals that had a very sharp sawtooth edge. No clips. Not the cheap stamped pedals common on bikes at that time.

Braze-ons for the cables, so that most or all(I believe all) only had tubing at the bends. The other Motobecanes I've seen have the rear brake cable tubed and clamped on top of the top frame tube where, I believe, mine was only tubed at the bends and open beneath the top, with braze-ons at the ends of the frame tube.

A cable driven speedometer that was marked in KPH.

A rear rack with a spring clamp to hold things down.

Looking back on it, I can't believe I was lusting after Schwinns with top shifters and extension brake levers while riding this bike. Youth...